Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dog just threw up something that looks like animal intestines

My dog just threw up something that looks like animal intestines and smells very foul (in addition to all his kibble from an hour ago)
He has not been acting sick at all, but now seems a little bit lethargic after throwing up. I dont have any money to take him to the vet. 3 weeks ago my other dog (elderly) died and it was expensive vet bill.He is current on his vaccines.
I am scared.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Could the dog have eaten a dead rabbit or bird?

Is the dog drinking water and keeping it down?

How many times did he vomit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I live in the country and he never leaves the fenced yard, but we do have squirrels, ect and many bald eagles, hawks maybe one dropped something and he ate it, I did think of that. It smelled horrific very rotton(The vomit)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He only threw up once and he is not interested in drinking now.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
The only thing to try at home is Pepcid AC at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours to settle the stomach. Pepto Bismal can be used at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds body weight every 8 hours if diarrhea starts. A bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, no bones, can be offered in small frequent meals if the meds stay down for 2-3 hours. If the dog won't drink, he will get dehydrated quickly. If he vomits the meds, he should see your vet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is not throwing up again and just drank, I am the most concerned about the fact that he threw up foul smelling stuff that looks like intestines. My fear is that it is something out of his own body.He just followed me outside and tried to eat some grass , a teeny bit, then he came in and drank water. He is sleeping now.(Normal for him he is a pretty mellow dog, he is a large Lab 125 lbs) I would take him to the vvet but I have no money. I am mostly worried about the intestine looking thing that smells so bad that he threw up.Can dogs throw up their own intestines or stomach parts? This may sound silly but I don't know these things.I found nothing googeling it.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
It was likely something he ingested. It is was stomach lining from the dog, there would have been lots of blood and he would not be walking around and drinking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I really hope so, there was no blood at all,not a bit and it smelled just horrible, very very rotton. If it was a part of his own body it would be at least some blood?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
If it was part of his intestinal tract, the dog would likely be dead and it should not have been rotten if he was fine yesterday.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that is good to know, I am paranoid due to just losing another dog recently and that was a weird thing that he vomited.

He does not act sick at all.

Thank you very much,

Cammie