Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My French Bulldog has skin allergies

My French Bulldog has terrible skin allergies. I have had her to my Vet but she haven't been able to help much.

My dog Nadia scratches her mouth, stomach and chest raw my pulling herself on the grass and carpet. She often has ear problems.

She has a horrible smell. Her skin seems wet sometimes like she is sweating.

I would do anything to help her if I knew what to do or where to go. Thanks

Hello there,
Has the dog had allergy testing done?
Has the dog been on a limited ingredient diet?
What oral medications has she been on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What kind of allergy testing do you mean? I believe she has been blood tested. She has not been on a limited ingredient diet. I have tried to do some of that myself. I have changed dog foods and have done things like not feed her beef or other things that I hear cause allergies. Somethings I think I can see a difference but it never seems to last. I give her baths and keep her bedding clean. She is not on any oral medications except Interceptor for heart worms.
Allergy testing can be done by a blood test, but they would have shown you the results if it had been done. I use Greer Labs, they test for food allergies and environmental allergies. Their website is I have had good success with them. Your vet needs to request a test packet from the company. A limited ingredient diet can be used for 4-6 weeks to rule out a food allergy. The idea is to put them on a protein and carbohydrate source they have never eaten before. No treats can be given during the trial. Here is an example:

The injection she got was likely a long acting cortisone. If she responded to it, an underlying allergy is very possible. Oral Benadryl can also be used at 1/2-2 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed for the itch. In severe cases, it may not be strong enough.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I feed her the Royal Canin dog food dry exclusively? Can a Royal Canin canned food be mixed with the dry food? Will any flavor do? Could there be a Royal Canin treat to feed her. I'm sure I'm doing wrong but she loves treats and looks forward to them. Also, does that mean no vegetables which I do mix with her dog food.
You can use any limited ingredient food, regardless of brand or flavor. Canned and dry can be used together. I have had good results with royal Canin but there are many brands to choose from. No treats or veggies or rawhides should be given during the trial. Just food and water. If she gets into something during the trial, it will screw up the results.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will definitely get the Royal Canin.
One more question: Is her awful smell and clamy skin a part of the allergy?
The skin issues are likely secondary to an underlying allergy. The smell is caused by yeast or bacterial overgrowth. The feel of the skin is caused by excess oil production in the skin. The oil turns rancid and the bacteria and yeast use it as a food supply. Malaseb shampoo works well in these cases. Hot water must be used and the shampoo needs to be left on the skin for 10 minutes for it to be effective. Selsum Blue naturals with Aloe Vera seems to work pretty well too.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Scott thank you so much. I will do everything you say. Is there a way I can get in touch with you if all doesn't work to keep working together to solve this? Donna
I will accept after this answer.
You are very welcome. You can reach me on this site by starting your question" This message is for Dr. Scott". I will see it or an associate will forwrd it to me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SO sorry. I just thought of one more thing. One of her favorite things. She chews on cow hooves. Should I quit that?
I would hold off on them until you finish the food trial. Get something synthetic like a Nylabone or Kong for the 6 weeks.