Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

All of the sudden our dog is excessivly drooling and wont

Customer Question

All of the sudden our dog is excessivly drooling and won't eat her treats. She is a black & tan coon hound 3 years old. we went on a long walk tonight maybe she ate something bad? help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomerbr />
This is something which most small animals vets will see from time to time in their consulting rooms. While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following ...

There are quite a few causes of excess salivation in the dog, some are trivial and will pass quickly such as your Coon Hound picking up a toad in her mouth, others are more serious and will require veterinary attention. Until you know what the cause is then there will be no real way to stop it, if the salivation does not quickly start to pass or your dog deteriorates then you should consult your vet without delay.

However if I wanted to make a list of what could possibly cause excess salivation { ptyalism } in the dog based on my past experience it would be as follows :

1. A foreign body like a stick or fish hook stuck in the mouth or throat.

2. Ulcers or wounds in the mouth.

3. Poisons, like chewing wood with old lead paint on it, certain plants in the garden, chemicals from the environment.

4. Infections, bacterial or viral centered in the mouth, throat or salivary gland.

5. Salivary gland defects such as sialoceles.

6. It is very rare but cancers of the mouth and throat are possible.

7. Dogs very often salivate for an hour or so if they pick up a toad in the garden.

My advice : Open the mouth and look in carefully using a torch or carry this out in an area with good lighting. Look for foreign objects like sticks stuck in there, do not forget the roof of the mouth. Also look for ulceration.

If you find nothing have a think about poisons or chemicals etc. in the environment.

I have to tell you that I have seen a number of cases of excess salivation where I have not been able to determine a cause but they have slowly resolved over a couple of days without intervention or treatment.

Here is a link to a web page which covers this subject so you can research it in depth : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much you have been helpful I too believe she may have picked up a toad or frog on our walk as it was along an irigation ditch and it'd full of them at night. Anyway we feel better.
Thanks very much for the accept, just a little bit more about toads ...

This is usually no problem, frogs and toads are able to excrete a slight toxin from their skins which is bitter and designed to make animals which have picked them up drop them at once and so the frog escapes.

All you need do here is to flush out your dog's mouth and the eyes if they are affected with lots of water and the situation will normally correct itself in a few hours.

You should however keep an eye on your dog and if any strange symptoms develop give your vet a call, this is just a better safe than sorry suggestion.

I say this beacuse in some parts of the world including parts of the USA toads can be poisonous, toad poisoning can be very serious or even life threatening

Here are a couple of links where you can research the subject in depth :