Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My dog has a huge swelling on one nipple and I do not know

My dog has a huge swelling on one nipple and I do not know what it is or where it came from. I found it while rubbing her and it has grown to a large size over a small amount of time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Is the swelling soft and flabby or is it hard and knobbly ?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was soft at first but now it is hard.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Short answer here but it does cover things precisely :

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following : There is some danger here that this is a cancer of some kind. Cancers of the breast area are very common in dogs and some can be treated, as there is no possible home remedy for this situation my advice has to be that you have a vet check your dog over without delay. I am sorry I cannot suggest anything more positive ...

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this answer is not helpfull i am not pleased

Hello again,

Thanks for letting me know.

The good thing about Just Answer is that if you are not satisfied with an answer then you need not pay.

This however does not change my position in that there is a clear possibility that what you are dealing with could be a cancer of some kind. I there is the slightest chance that this is the case you owe it to your dog to seek hands on veterinary help as soon as possible.

I suppose I could have listed other possible causes but truly I would rather not be paid that to put any animal at risk with internet advice.

I would urge you to have a vet check this lesion over ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that was already one of my own answers going to a vet. and cancer because of were it,s located. do you have any thing that i have not already thought of myself. i need more possibilities
Hello again,

With the greatest of respect I do not know nor cannot know what you have already thought of regarding this lesion so it is going to be difficult for me to suggest anything new to you ...

However I can list a fuller differential diagnosis, in my experience there is only a limited number of things which a lump in this area can be :

1. A cancer : Which we have already discussed, some can be malignant but others more benign.

2. It could be an abscess related to a past episode of mastitis or a new infection in the area. These would be treated with lancing and antibiotics.

3. It could be a cyst, these are also possible in this area and would be easily drained.

The abscess and cyst would normally but not always have a soft flabby texture as they are fluid filled but cancers may well have a hard knobbly feel. In some cases you would have to carry out a biopsy to identify such lesions with certainty.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

payment window lost figure was not inputted 15.00 dollars was the total cost that is what i was willing to pay for the advice no bonus it.s not my card.

Hello again,

No problem, payment received.

Good luck with your dog ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Than you very much