CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

how much is considered too much of the tramadol My vet wants

how much is considered too much of the tramadol My vet wants to give her 200mg 3 times a day and she is also on she is also on rimadyl 150mg per day.
she is a 10year old golden retreiver who weighs approx. 40kg and they think she has bad arthritis.

What is the maximum dosage she should be getting on the tramadol.

thanks
debbie
Thank you for your post!

Regarding the tramadol, it has a very wide margin of safety - while I would likely give 120mg every 8 to 12 hours, 200mg is at a higher end of an acceptable range. I would monitor for sedation - but this is an acceptable dose if there is bad pain involved.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you for the answer on the tramadol, however my other question was do you think that the rimadyl is working. She has been on it for 6 days with what seems to be no improvovement. Should she go back on prednisone. Would that be better for her. I know it is dangerous but so are all the other drugs such as medicam and rimadyl?

what do you think. I know she is an older dog but I don/t want to see her in such pain.

thanks.

awaiting your reply.

Hi there,

There are certain dogs that will respond better to prednisone than NSAIDS such as Rimadyl or Meloxicam.

If you do decide to do this...you MUST stop the Rimadyl and wait 1 week before re-starting the prednisone (wash-out period) to prevent stomach ulcers!