Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my pug just ate a small plastic sample spoon... is he in immediate

my pug just ate a small plastic sample spoon... is he in immediate danger?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Roughly how big was this spoon?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2 inches by 3/8in at widest,completely flat, no curves or scoop.
Thanks for the quick reply.

If you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your Pug over now, your vet can safely make your dog sick, X-ray your dog, and recover the object if that proves necessary. However I can tell you the following ...

Dogs are very prone to swallowing objects and I have known sharp objects like needles pass straight through a dog's intestinal tract without problem before never mind your sample spoon, if it is 3.8 " wide then it could possibly pass straight through. There is an obvious danger though. Here is some advice based on my previous experience :

1. Do not try to make your pup sick at home to recover the object as sharp objects like this can cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.

2. If you are going to sit things out feed your dog quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato now to try and cushion the spoon as it passes along your dog's intestinal tract, this can be effective

3. I know this is a horrid task but you should examine your dog's faeces over the next few days to make sure the object has passed.

4. However be aware that though unlikely there is a potential for a problem to occur here. Monitor your dog for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that this type of object could penetrate the intestinal tract which would be a very serious situation.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS