Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

How much Corid do I put in 5 gallon of water to prevent Coccidiosis

Customer Question

How much Corid do I put in 5 gallon of water to prevent Coccidiosis in puppies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Coccidiosis should be treated when diagnosed, not "prevented", because that approach encourages resistance of the parasite. If Coccidiosis is diagnosed, then Corid can be used, but it should not be added to the drinking water. Dogs are not livestock - and they should not be medicated like livestock. Adding medication to the water may result in different puppies receiving different doses, and if the water tastes bad to them, they may drink less and risk dehydration.

A much safer approach is adding medication to the food, or giving it orally.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

we have it as a chronic problem here and 99% of the time the puppies get it from the mothers we live on a large farm and have sheep, hogs, horses and cattle so the dogs are exposed to it. there is absolutley no way to get around it...the last 4 litters I have had became infected and it was a severe infection that was so strong they died from it no matter what I did for them. I do not want a repeat of this so i am trying to get a way to prevent the coccidia from infecting them in the first place.

So what about Marquis that people use on horses for EPM? I need a prescription for it and it is $180 a tube?

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Marquis has been used successfully in dogs, but yes, as you have found, it is very expensive and requires a prescription. It is important to note that dogs cannot be infected by coccidia from other species - each species has its very "own" species of coccidia, and they are not known to cross-over at all.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Alright so what do you suggest then? Should I use Corid 5 doses every week to treat, because if I wait till there are s/s the puppies just die I just lost 1/2 of a litter in 24 hours, the fecal was negative for coccidia but, the s/s were the same n/v dehydration and foul feces with a liquid consistency minute blood in it, ....I am quite frustrated I am a Registered Nurse and waiting till the pups get sick is not an option that I will employ.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Have you had any of these puppies tested for other issues such as Parvo virus? Has a veterinarian examined any puppies, alive or dead? Coccidia does not normally kill puppies so quickly, and I am suspicious that you have something else going on at your facility.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had them to a vet and both stated it could have been ecoli or something but, the s/s are similar to coccidia that I have seen in the past.....I am currently treating some depressed pups with baytril sq they are parvo negatory!
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. Are you using any other deworming products?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I routinely use Safeguard wormer or Ivomec injectible but, only when they are 10 weeks and older as this is a hot wormer. I have also used Valbazen
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
When were these pups tested for parvo?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
last week
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
And were they already having these symptoms at that time? Including the blood-tinged diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
OK, thanks. I think that the best way to get a diagnosis here, is to have samples of the intestines taken from a freshly-dead puppy, if unfortunately you lose another one. Those samples can be sent in to a diagnostic laboratory to try to determine what disease is causing these deaths. I also would recommend not breeding any more until this issue is resolved, because each litter may be causing more and more infectious material to be shed into the environment at your home, increasing the likelihood that the problem will occur again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a friend whom is a vet tech, she says it sounds suspicious for corona virus...we do not routinely vac for this and the adults are not either....
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Corona virus is normally a self-limiting illness that causes diarrhea, but rarely anything else. I have not heard of mass deaths of litters from Corona Virus.