Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College

My dog has a black crust that from around her eyes. I wipe

Customer Question

My dog has a black crust that from around her eyes. I wipe it away with a damp cloth but it returns the following day or two. What causes it? Should I be concerned? How do I treat it?
She is a soft coated wheaten terrier
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 7 years ago.
Hi there...

Just a couple of questions...

-- Are the black crusts mostly around the inner part of the eyes, nearer to the nose?
-- Any sneezing or tearing?
-- Any redness in the eyes, like bloodshot appearance?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They are in the corner near the nose mostly. No Sneezing or tearing and no red eyes. She is a rescue dog and we have only had her 3 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 7 years ago.

This is either dried eye discharge or a condition called apocrine hyperhidrosis. In either case, this is usually not a serious issue; I would keep the hair trimmed short between the eyes and wipe the eyes daily with a moist cotton ball to prevent accumulation of the crusts. If you notice squinting, tearing or red eyes or if your cleaning does not seem to be helping, you should take him to your veterinarian to be tested for yeast infection in that area and to test the tear ducts to make sure they are working properly.

Hope this is helpful; please let me know if you have any other questions.