Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

My vet told me to give my dog Benadryl for her allergy. It

My vet told me to give my dog Benadryl for her allergy. It is congestion. The Benadryl made her throw up. Is Chlor Trimeton OK for a dog and would it be more effective for congestion?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor H replied 7 years ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you. However, I need to ask a few questions first.

What clinical signs did you bring your dog in for? By 'congestion,' do you mean difficulty breathing? If so, is she urinating and drinking normally? Any vomiting (besides the Benadryl) and diarrhea?

How much Benadryl did you give and how much does your dog weigh?

Please let me know so that I may assist you further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has congestion and you can hear it sometimes, just like when a person has a head full of phlegm. She has many allergies, but this is new this summer. She is eating and drinking very well and happy and energetic. She did not vomit except when I gave her Benadryl. I gave her 25 mg as prescribed by her vet.
Expert:  Doctor H replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ask some more questions so that I may provide you with the most complete answer possible.

How much does your dog weigh? What breed is she? Is the congestion you're referring to difficulty breathing, nasal discharge, or sounds you hear when she breathes? How long have you noticed this?

Does she have any exercise intolerance at home (getting tired more easily?) Any coughing?

What allergies has she had in the past? Does she lick her paws during her allergy season? What did your vet prescribe for the other allergies?

Please let me know so that I may help you. Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She weighs 24 lbs. American Eskimo. It is sounds I hear like there's congestion. I first noticed it in late July when allergy season begins here. We had a warm day today and had windows open and she was outside a lot, so it got worse tonight. She exercises normally and does not cough. She has had hot spots, eye irritations, and anal gland problems (not this year though). She does lick her paws.

The vet prescribed Benadryl, but it made her throw up. I didn't realize she was having problems today before the vet closed. I was told there were other human antihistimines she could take if Benadryl didn't work well. I read on another site that Chlor Trimeton was safe for dogs and would like to try it, but the store closes in 20 minutes so I need to know.
Expert:  Doctor H replied 7 years ago.

Sure. You can give 8 mg two-to-three times per day. It is often bitter so you may notice drooling when you give it orally.

However, dogs do not express the same signs of allergies as humans. They typically show it as licking their paws and getting skin infections. Additionally, I would not expect a 14 year old dog to suddenly present with a new allergy sign. Overall, I would consider x-rays to evaluate the lungs and heart just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else. If not, please click the 'accept' button.