Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

why does my dogs urine smell like maple syrup

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Is the urine discolored? How long has this been going on for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no the urine is not discolored. I noticed it maybe 2 weeks ago. She started having accidents in the house again due to the cold rainy weather, which is very common for her
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
OK, thanks for the reply. Does she have any skin problems anywhere on her body?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no, well she is a dashund so she does have quite a few small wart like bumps but other than that no

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
OK, thanks for the reply. Do you think she's lost any weight recently? Is she drinking any more water than usual?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no recent weight loss, but yes she is drinking quite a bit. so much so that i have to take it away from her or she bloats up
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
OK, thanks for the reply. I am suspicious that she has Diabetes, and the syrup smell is from excessive sugar levels in the urine. This is a common cause of excess drinking and urination in dogs, and it can result in life threatening complications if not treated promptly. I would strongly advise having a blood and urine test done today at your veterinarian's office, to find out if she has Diabetes.