Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.

Can I give my dog Flexeril for muscle spasms in his neck

Can I give my dog Flexeril for muscle spasms in his neck?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 7 years ago.
I would not suggest giving this to your elderly dog. It would really be too risky trying to give a muscle relaxer of this type. There is no telling what kind of reaction would be seen, and the drug has not been tested in dogs. We don't know if he can even metabolize the drug or what the toxic levels might be. You can try giving 500mg Aspirin twice daily for the pain, though this will do nothing to stop the muscle spasms.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been giving him aspirin, does not seem to help. what about steroids? he is VERY healthy otherwise, good teeth etc. No problems at all until 2 weeks ago. I take REAL good care of him. Nice weight etc. I have his father, still going strong at 14 years.
Steroids may give some relief and are certainly an option, if you can get your vet to do it. If not, another option is to go to a different vet and see what they say. There is certainly nothing wrong with getting a second opinion before considering surgery. Most all vets would understand you taking this action considering the cost.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have herd that dogs can take tramadol? Would this help the pain/
It could possibly help. It all depends on your dog. Different drugs can act differently in each patient.