Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My female dog is urinating frequently. What can I give her

My female dog is urinating frequently. What can I give her to alleve this. Cranberry juice? garlic pills?

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• How long has she had the problem?
  • How much does she weigh?
  • Does she take any other medications orhave other medical conditions?
  • Have you noticed blood in her urine?
  • Is she drinking more water too?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has had this problem for a 4 days. She weighs 76 lbs. She is a golden retriever, she is current on all her shots. She perhaps lost a little weight as when she is not feeling well, she usually doesn't eat or drink. No blood in urine.

Does she urinate in small, frequent amounts or does she produce a lot of urine when she goes? Does she seem to strain when she urinates?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, she urinates in small frequent amounts. No strain noted, Urinations happen every 60-80 ft during our walk. When I came home she had urinated in 3 spots in the house, without drinking any of her water.

Thank you for the information. Sorry about all the questions but I'm trying to get a good idea of the situation. What you are describing is called pollakiuria. It means frequent, small urinations. It is typically caused by bladder pain. When the bladder is painful even a small amount of urine causes an urge to urinate. I suspect that a urinalysis would show blood even though it is not evident to the naked eye. Here are some possible causes:

• Urinary tract infections will cause blood to appear in the urine and are more common in female animals. Symptoms include painful urination, having to urinate more often in smaller amounts and drinking more water. Urinalysis and sometimes a urine culture are necessary to diagnose an infection. Antibiotics are necessary to clear the problem.
  • Bladder stones are also common in pets and are caused by many different types of stones. Symptoms are very similar to urinary tract infection. Most stones can be seen on x-ray but a few require ultrasound to visualize. Occasionally stones also appear in the kidneys or other parts of the urinary tract. There are times when stones can be dissolved with diet but surgery is often required to remove them. The stones can then be sent for analysis to determine the cause and the best way to prevent them from returning. Usually prescription diets are the most common way to prevent return of the stones. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/urolithiasis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
  • Bladder cancer is rare but symptoms are very similar to urinary tract infections. Ultrasound and biopsy are usually required to diagnose cancers and treatment usually involves surgery and medications.

Bladder cancer would be highly unlikely at this age. A urinary tract infection is the most likely cause. Avoid the garlic since garlic and onion both can be toxic to dogs and cause anemia. Cranberry juice mixed with her water may help a little but certainly won't fix the problem. Aleve is dangerous in dogs. The safest over the counter pain medication is aspirin. You can give one 325mg buffered aspirin every 12 hour for pain. It can be given for 3-4 days before it can cause stomch problems. It is best to have her seen by a vet. A urinary tract infection, if untreated, can actually move into the kidneys and cause severe illness. Antibiotics are very effective and work quickly. If you have more questions please let me know.