Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

what happens if my dog ate a condom

what happens if my dog ate a condom?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

When was she last totally normal?

When did she last eat?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

she was last normal last night, and ate dinner last nite about 830pm and had her normal bowel movements. but this am she is lethargic and just laying down not playing like normal and not eating

no vomiting, but her tummy is groweling

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Hmm... and what time is it where you are?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its 8:39 am. I am in New York
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

And if she ate the condom, when might that have been?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it would have been during the night some time. i saw the box was ripped open and 1 is missing, the foil pouch was intact, just the condom itself is gone and since she loves to get into things, im almost 100% positive she ate it
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Dogs do eat the strangest things sometimes!

Ok, and in the last few days, has she had anything other than her regular dog food (ie any people food, especially any high in fat like cheese or gravy)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she had some cheese last nite, just a little piece i dropped on the floor, but nothig out of the ordinary for her, just her food and her cookies (dog treats)
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

There are a number of different things that could be going on. I have certainly examined many dogs who have eaten condoms, and for the vast majority, the condom passes through without incident.

However, it is worthwhile for you to know what signs to look for in case it gets stuck:

- loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pain (a hunched appearance, or prayer position with her front end down and back end up in the air), fever and lethargy would all be cause for concern

Here's a link with more information:

Most things make their way through the intestines in about 24 hours. Do check all her stools until you see it! If it has not appeared within 3 days, or if she shows any signs of illness, then see your veterinarian promptly.

Now, it is possible that the condom is still in her stomach. If it is still in the stomach and has not moved further into the intestines, it may come up if you induce her to vomit.

I am happy to tell you how to induce vomiting... but do always check with a vet before doing so. There are some situations in which you should NOT induce vomiting (such as if she ate something sharp like a bone, or something like used engine oil, or a battery if it was punctured and the caustic material was leaking out.. these things are better dealt with in the stomach as it is stronger than the espophagus which could be damaged during vomiting these things).

To make her vomit, you could take your dog to a veterinarian immediately as this is the safest possible option. If this is absolutely impossible, you could attempt it at home, but know that there is some small risk of aspiration of vomitus.

You can make your dog vomit by using 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Give 2 teaspoons per 10lbs body weight. If your dog weighs about 15 lbs, then you could give 3 teaspoons which is 1 tablespoon.

There are 2 ways to do this:

Tip her nose to the ceiling and pour it down her throat with a shot glass, or a turkey baster. To do this, hold the dog between your knees with you kneeling on the floor. Have the dog face away from you. Point the nose to the ceiling, open the mouth and quickly pour the FULL dose into the back of the mouth.

You can repeat in 10 minutes if she has not vomited yet.

More here:

I find the shot glass method to be the most effective!

If you are not able to give it by mouth as described above, you can use the following method:
1. Feed a small meal or slice of bread first - they are more likely to vomit with some food in the stomach.
2. Dogs will often drink peroxide if you mix it 50:50 with milk or ice cream, and it is just as effective.
3. Dogs are more likely to vomit after getting hydrogen peroxide if they move around - play ball, go for a walk, run up and down stairs - as this heightens the fizzing.
4. Always check the expiration date of the peroxide. If it is old it doesn't fizz very well!

You should not do it more than twice. The vast majority of dogs will vomit with this! It is useful in case she eats chocolate, prescription medications, or sugarless gum containing xylitol.

So, you could try this to see if you can get the condom out.

THen, after that, it is best to feed her a bland diet.

Start by offering lots of clear fluids.

So, water is fine, but also she can have chipped ice, pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or onion -free chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1/4 cup every 30 min.

After a few hours, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 1-2 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal dog food.

So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve herself and back in.

If your JRT continues to refuse food, starts to vomit, develops blood in the stool, is lethargic or shows signs of abdominal pain, please contact a veterinarian promptly.

I hope she feels better soon!

If this has been helpful, please Accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.