Dr. Sandy
Dr. Sandy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Canine practitioner for over 16 years, Served on board of directors to the AzVMA.
20956040

I found that my dog has two lumps on the side of genital area

Customer Question

I found that my dog has two lumps on the side of genital area where he pee's. They get big and hard and then they go away but you can still see them. What could they be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Sandy replied 7 years ago.
If the lumps are attached to the penis inside his sheath and swell and regress, my thought is that they are the "bulbus" portion of the penis. I wish I could see it to be sure, but without an exam I suspect that is all it is.

If so, what you are observing is an erection. Even neutered dogs do this. It is normal and nothing to worry about. This is the part of the penis that causes the "tie" when mating. Dogs actually get stuck together for a time during mating.

If the lumps are more off to the side near the thighs, they could be lymph nodes. Lymph nodes would not "come and go" so I doubt it is a problem.

Edited by Dr. Sandy on 10/11/2009 at 10:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well they are on the penis area and is it normal that they have not gone away at all today? It has been like 5 hours now and they seem to still be there however not as big sometimes and but still there.
Expert:  Dr. Sandy replied 7 years ago.
Yes, they will eventually go away, but it is possible that every time you touch his belly he gets excited and they stay a little noticeable, or they pop back up.
This is actually a question my staff gets on the phone quite frequently. Especially after a neuter or when something draws the owner's attention to the area.
Expert:  Dr. Sandy replied 7 years ago.