Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.
23926829

My dog has mange, losing her hair, dandruff, sore spots on

Customer Question

My dog has mange, losing her hair, dandruff, sore spots on her belly and legs, loss of appetite, and she has a bad smell.What can I give her, she's too big to get in a bathtub is there any kind of pill or spray I can get?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 7 years ago.

Hi there

What kind of mange does your dog have-how do you know it's mange? Dr. Jenn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My vet said said she has allergies, and possibly mange.
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 7 years ago.
Well, she REALLY needs to be skin scraped to rule out mites. Whether or not she has mites determines how we need to resolve her condition. It sounds like she needs to be on antibiotics for a few weeks to get the skin infection under control. So, she needs to see a vet to be skin scraped, then we go from there. You can give her Benadryl to help with the itching until you get her in-the sooner the better. Let me know her weight and I'll figure out the dose for you.