DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.

My dog has black spots that look crusty or scaly. She tends

My dog has black spots that look crusty or scaly. She tends to scratch at them. I showed one of her teats with a little black on it to my vet and he said it might be pigment and hoped it wasn't a fungus. Any ideas? If it is a fungus, can I do anything? She just went through antibiotics for skin rashes.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DocPaul replied 7 years ago.

I would MOST definitely have skin scrapes, fungal cultures and skin cytology done. This is either a bacterial or a fungal infection.

The above tests will allow you to determine what is involved. Then you can get the appropriate treatment.

The treatment for a fungal skin infection is oral medication if it is severe. If it is just one spot then you can ofte njust use a topical product. This sounds more widspread. In addition you should be thinking about underlying allergies.