Dr. MD Stafford
Dr. MD Stafford, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years in private practice and attending veterinarian Missouri State University.

I have this dog was shot with bird shot or either buck shot.

Customer Question

I have this dog was shot with bird shot or either buck shot. It scattered his front body on his right side. I found about 15 or 16 places that had blood on them. What i want to know is there a chance my dog can get led poisioning from these shots. Will he be ok. Will i have to take him to the vet. Hes up and walking around now. Eating and drinking and walking around in the yard.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. MD Stafford replied 7 years ago.
A large dog with just a few pellets is not likely to get lead poisoning from shotgun pellets. I would be more concerned with infection and possible trauma to the bodies deep tissues. I would recommend an x-ray to see the extent of the injury.