Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

my Saint Bernard has been throwing up. He started earlier today,

my Saint Bernard has been throwing up. He started earlier today, and threw up every 30 minutes, for a total of 4 times. He refused to eat, and drank a very little bit.
He has on occasion thrown up first thing in the am- due to lack of food in his tummy. He would eat a leaf, and throw up yellow.
Today is different.
His diet has changed. It changed about 6 days ago. We switched from store bought food to my own cooking. He has not eaten anything (I have given) different, and up until today, he enjoyed the new food and never complained! He actually loves it.
I feed him 2 cups roasted (unseasoned) pork butt with some pork fat, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, a bunch of garden greens, 1 banana and 1 pear, pluc 2 cups cooked rice. This is for breakfast, and I repeat it for dinner. I puree it in the food processer.
He does not eat gluten or other grains because of gas.
Hello there,

The dog may have pancreatitis if the vomiting is that severe. It will also cause a fever and a loss of appetite. Pepto Bismal can be given at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds body weight every 8-12 hours as needed. Pepsid AC can also be used at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours to reduce stomach acid. If the meds do not stay down, the dog will need injectable meds from your vet. Pancreatitis is diagnosed via blood tests.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How would I know if he had a fever? Is it possible that he ate a foreign object and is trying to throw it up? (I have little kids with little toys he likes to steal and chew)

Also, he just went out to pee, and ate a few leaves. Now his tummy is wildly gurgling nonstop. Usually when he eats a leaf, he throws up immediately.

An ingested toy is always possible with dogs. An abdominal radiograph is needed to rule out an obstruction. A rectal temp with a mercury thermometer is needed to check for fever. Normal is 99-101.5 F in dogs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also, he just went out to pee, and ate a few leaves. Now his tummy is wildly gurgling nonstop. Usually when he eats a leaf, he throws up immediately. he hasn't thrown up yet. (been 15 minutes)
I would get some Pepto Bismal into the dog to coat the stomach. Sucralfate works well if you have any.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Do you think rice would upset his stomach?
It should not upset the stomach. I would only feed a few tablespoons to start.