CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

I accidentally gave my 50 pound dog, who is on Rimadyl 50 mg.

I accidentally gave my 50 pound dog, who is on Rimadyl 50 mg. twice daily, an extra half tablet of Rimadyl! Will he be okay?
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

Your dog will very likely be ok. I would recommend skipping the next dose.

I would also recommend for the next 5 days giving 10mg of Pepcid A/C (Famotidine) every 12 hours. This can be purchased over the counter.

If at any time you see:
- Vomiting
- Diarrhea
- Loss of appetite
- Dark/Tarry stools

Then I would seek veterinary care.

Otherwise, and in general - your dog should be ok!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The tablet was scored (it was a 100 mg tablet, and I accidentally gave an extra half) so he received 50 extra mgs. for the day. Thank you for your fast reply!
Hi there,

You are very welcome!

That is what I was assuming from your post above - I would skip the next dose and follow the plan and monitoring as listed above.