Dr. Lajos
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist
19414232

Hi, my Dog is almost 15 years old and she stopped eating. She

Hi, my Dog is almost 15 years old and she stopped eating. She has always been feed hard dog food and suddenly she is not eating it anymore and reacts aggressive when I try to feed her. I tried soft dogfood from the same brand but she is not eating it. She has already lost some pounds.
She also is sleeping a lot in the daytime and is up for hours pacing at night. She is a golden retriever chow mix and is usually around 50 pounds. How much should she eat in a day?
I am worried, Please advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer

She should eat several cups of food a day, which will vary based on the brand. Every name brand has feeding recommendations, which will be listed on the bag/can, etc. Causes of not wanting to eat can range from sore teeth/mouth to gastrointestinal disease.

There are a few things you can try to stimulate her appetite:

Feeding slightly warmed canned cat or dog food will sometimes work.

You can also supplement her with some liquid sublingual vitamin B complex/B-12 from your local drug store. Typically they come with a dropper and you can give her 1cc under the tongue. It often helps stimulate appetite.

You can also try giving her some plain, active culture yogurt, 1-2 tablespoons. It will help ease any indigestion and aid in normal digestion.

If she continues to not be willing to eat, or starts to drink much less you should consider taking her in for a vet check-up.

I hope this helps

Please let me know if you have any follow-on questions
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried to warm the food, She never ate up to the dog manufacturers recommendations but she ate probably 2 cups a day. If we give her some of our food she is certainly taking it.

she is drinking a lot and that leads to urination problems,

What is the life expextency of a dog that size?

Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 4 years ago.
Life expectancy for a medium sized dog is typically about 11-14 years. Small dogs, usually 15-16 years. This can vary greatly based of quality care, etc., and seems to be ever increasing as improvements in health care and treatments continue.

Since your dog is drinking more lately I would be a bit concerned about kidney function. I think it would be worth collecting a fresh urine sample in a clean disposable container and have it checked by your vet. As dogs age they can develop some degree of kidney disease that often results in loss of appetite and increased drinking and urination (the blue link will provide some additional information)
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist