Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My dog swallowed a fast food ketchup package three days ago.

My dog swallowed a fast food ketchup package three days ago. She is acting,eating and moving stool normally.
Should I be concerned??
Hello there,

The packet should have passed within 24 hours. If the dog is not vomiting or straining to defecate, you should be in the clear. if the dog starts to strain, mineral oil or cat hairball medicine can be mixed into the food to lubricate the intestines to help it pass.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have checked her stools everyday and have not found the packet. How long should I wait before it becomes an issue?
The packet will not digest. If you have not seen it pass, I would add some lubricant to the food and keep looking. It will not show up on a radiograph. If stool is passing, there is not an obstruction at this point.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has been nine days since she ingested the packet and thankfully today she passed it. YAY!!!!
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure the oil helped. C:
That sounds like good news. You are welcome.