Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

my dog smells musty and itchs constantly wether she has been

my dog smells musty and itchs constantly wether she has been treated for fleas or not. i rid of fleas yet she till itchs and has my home and car smelling just like her.its awful. she is a 4yr old rat terrior, jackrussel,corgy mix. she looks mangy. could you help me on what to do for her bc im not exactly working right now to take her to the vet unless i hav to. thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

If there is an odor to the dog, there is likely yeast, bacteria or both overgrowing on the skin. Oral Benadryl can be given at 1/2 -1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed for the itch. The dog should be bathed in dilute dish soap to clear excess oil from the skin. Very warm water must be used. After the dish soap bath, mediated Selsum Blue shampoo can be used. The Naturals formula with Aloe Vera is good. It must be left on the skin for 10 minutes prior to rinsing to be effective. This should be done every 3-4 days until the skin heals. Put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in each ear after the bat so an ear infection does not occur. If the dog has mange, she needs injections or dips from your vet to treat.