Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian and practice owner with 12+ years experience.
21393945

hey my dog has been bleeding for two days after giving birth

Customer Question

hey my dog has been bleeding for two days after giving birth to ten pups i can get into a vet till tommorrow what do you suggest
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 7 years ago.
After delivery a good amount of bleeding and discharge can be expected. The uterus is still continuing to contract and the inner lining is repairing itself. Believe it or not, nature has begun the process for the next round of pups. I would watch closely and make sure her gum and inner lip color does not get pale. She may bleed for a few more day but it should slow down day by day. IF she gets pale I would see a vet sooner than later. As long as she is eating and acting normal (as normal as she will be after delivering 10 pups).
I hope this helps and gives ou peace of mind.
Have fun and good luck!
Dr. JEff
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

SHE'S NOT BEING HERSELF AND THE BLOOD IS NOT SLOWING DOWN,, WHAT DO U SUGGEST I DO THROUGH THE NIGHT UNTILL I CAN GET HER TO A VET

I would try to keep her as calm as possible. If you see the mucous membranes of the gums and lips get pale, I would see a vet today.

If you are still seeing a good red or solid pink, you should be okay.
I would let her rest in an area that is easy to clean as she is going to continue to have discharge.
I hope this helps
Dr Jeff