David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic

My dog has been licking her vagina a lot for the last couple

Customer Question

My dog has been licking her vagina a lot for the last couple of weeks. I looked at the area a few minutes ago, and it has black scabs and yellow discharge. It's all on the outside of her vagina. I'm gonna take her to the vet monday, but i'm just concerned about it and wondering if it's something i should take her to an emergency doctor for? What could it be??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 7 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Is your dog spayed?

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No she has not been spayed

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do i actually get an answer to my question or is this just a scam i fell for????

Sorry, my internet connection died, and I just got it back going again (crazy router problems lately).

I am concerned about a vaginal infection, or more importantly a uterus infection (called a pyometra). A pyometra is diagnosed with a white blood cell count, vaginal cytology, and abdominal X-rays to look for an enlarged uterus. If it is a pyometra, aggressive treatment is needed (IV fluids, antibiotics, and surgery to remove the uterus and ovaries). This is a serious problem and needs to be addressed right away. I would recommend having your dog examined as soon as possible, before the problem worsens.

Here is a good article on pyometra:

I hope this is helpful. Sorry again about the delay answering you.

Dr. Dave