Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.
14859682

my yellow lab has what looks like flea dirt...little black

Customer Question

my yellow lab has what looks like flea dirt...little black specs of dirt like spots on her belly and the inside of her back legs. Ver small clumps of hair seem to be falling out occassionaly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

I have a few questions so that I may better help you:

Are you using any flea control? If so, what?

Is she itching or causing raw spots?

Have you seen any live fleas?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IO have just used flea powder so far. She isn't itching more than usual. Well maybe a bit more. I ahve not seen any live fleas on her and I have been looking.
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
Ok, well to make sure that the black specks are actually flea dirt, there is a little test you can do. take some of them and brush them onto a napkin or paper towel. Drip a little water on them and if the paper around them turns red, then it is flea dirt. Powders are good at killing off adult fleas but won't take care of the eggs. I know that Frontline is expensive but it really does work well. There is also Advantage but that doesn't get flea eggs. Frontline does. The killing of the eggs is what helps stop the cycle of reinfestation in your home. Once you get rid of the fleas, then the skin irritations should go away too.

I hope this helps you some. Feel free to reply to this.

Dr. P