Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320
Dog Veterinary

Can my dog safely take Tramadol and Prednisone at the same

time? He's 13 yrs, weights... Show More
time? He's 13 yrs, weights 10lbs. Our Vet has him on Tramadol for his arthritis but now has to take Prednisone for a skin issue. I'm sorry I don't know the mgs of these meds. The bottles don't say. I hate second guessing my Vet, but I want to make sure this is safe. Thanks so much.. Tee
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 7 years ago.

Good question.

It is okay.

In fact, it is very common for vets to use either steroids or non-steroidals for arthritic issues combined with Tramadol on a regular basis. So, that prednisone for the skin, very well will help the arthritis even more.

The only thing you have to watch out for is combining prednisone (a true steroid) with an non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam, or Previcox. That should never be done.

But Tramadol (pain medication) with a steroid is fine.

Good Luck