Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dogs stomach is making loud noises

My dog's stomach is making loud noises, she is not eating anything but grass, she did throw up a little yellow foam today and has been curled up in a ball most of the day. At the same time, my stomach, I think, feels like her's. I ate almond butter at breakfast with honey and gave her a couple of nail size tastes. I wonder if the butter was bad. I don't normally feed human food to my toy poodle except one's that are supposed to be good for her like a little sweet potato or plain oatmeal, etc. now and then. Anyway, it is late and I just moved to a new town so no vet yet (working on it.) Will she be okay and should I just let nature take it's course?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

If your little one is having an upset stomach from the butter this morning then there is a good chance this is a gastritis scenario. It has a chance to settle down on its own. The gold standard for treatment of vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally vomiting is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast her for 12 hours (providing she doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require she eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can offer a small amount of water after the 12 hours, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After having access to the water for 1 hour, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor for recurring vomiting.

If the vomiting doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his regular food over the next few days until you're back to just it. If the vomiting persists through the night, or if she becomes lethargic, begins to have diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have her seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness such as pancreatitis, severe gastritis, foreign body or parasite infection.

I hope this helps and I hope she rests comfortably through the night!!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Princess, my dog, is sleeping now but I feel so bad for her because of her stomach noises. I know it must make her uncomfortable. She only threw up a little this morning, and it looked more like mucas. I think it will pass, but I will do as you said. Like I said, I think we both had some almond butter that might have gone bad. I know you have to be careful with organic stuff, although, I keep it in the fridge and it contained some sugar as a preservative. My stomach is making noises too and aches. Thanks for your help, I will take your advice.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
I'm glad to hear that she's sleeping now. The gurgling that your hearing is the intestinal peristalsis or waves. It gets more pronounced when the intestines and stomach are upset - like it might be from the ingestion of something that isn't sitting well. I will say that I always encourage staying away from all human foods for pets - unless it is stuff like carrots, bananas, celery, peas, green beans (no garlic, onions, or chocolate) - low fat, low calories. Human food is richer, saltier and just irritating to the gastrointestinal tract more times than not. Don't be surprised if she starts to have some loose stools in the next day or so. A lot of these will clear up with a couple days of passage after the nausea, but some need to have some oral antibiotics started up to resolve it. I hope things go well!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I try to feed her what is on your list but are nut butters not good? What is a good dog food?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
I would avoid the butters in general - very high in fat and lipids. Those could set up for bouts of pancreatitis and gastritis. There are a lot of very good dog foods on the market now a'days. Honestly, prurina, hills, iams, eukanuba, waltham, IVET - they all put out very good products and those are just a few. I'd honestly see what your vet carries and ask them what they have that will work well.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for all your advice. I will keep her off the butters, never knew that. Also, my vet., who is in another town, sells Science Diet but said he has been feeding his dogs Purina for years. So, that is what I use. Good night. By the way, my dog is now on my lap after rolling around on the carpet and her stomach is sounding better. Whew!