CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog has foul smelling creamy discharge form his penis that

my dog has foul smelling creamy discharge form his penis that just came on in about the last 2 hours. what can it be. we bathed him and immediately out of the tub this stuff is leaking out and it reaks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Is your dog having any trouble or straining to urinate?

Eating ok?

Vomiting or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
eating ok no lethargy doesn't seem to have trouble urinating. immediatley out of the tub he went outside and we checked after he went and noticed it again
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

It is not uncommon for there to be a very small amount of discharge from the penis, or more commony, seen at the prepuce (sheath)

If there is significant discharge, or it is more green (than yellow), has an malodor, or seems excessively irritated, it may be caused by a urinary tract infection or even an infection or inflammation of the glans of the penis - commonly called a balanoposthitis.

Aside from a normal UTI - a balanoposthitis is an inflammatory condition of the glans penis and prepuce - commonly caused by a bacterial infection.

When there are signs such as above, we recommend making an appointment with your veterinarian for evaluation.

At times a urine sample is taken and the discharge can be evaluated under the microscope to look for bacteria.

If that is the case, then a course of antibiotics will be prescribed.

I hope this helps! Please let me know...
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.