Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

Why does my Yorkie shiver

Customer Question

Why does my Yorkie shiver?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

When does the dog shiver and how long does it last?

Is he a nervous dog?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I only notice that he does it a couple of times during the day, usually when he is at rest, either in his bed or on my lap. It lasts probably 15 minutes or so.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
15 minutes is a pretty long episode. In older dogs, a low thyroid level can cause it. Your dog is not even middle aged. There are several medical causes for the behavior but most are accompanied by other signs of illness. Low blood sugar, nerve inflammation, pain, anxiety, toxins and poisons are possible causes. There are also unknown causes for the shaking called idiopathic tremors. You may run every test in the book and not find a cause. If the dog begins to have unexplained weight gain or lethargy, I would have the thyroid checked. Most other causes require a big work up of tests to find a cause.