Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My miniature dachshund has problems in one ear only, I notice

My miniature dachshund has problems in one ear only, I notice a lot of blackish matter that looks like greasy dirt. I have been keeping it clean and it keeps coming back. Is it more likely to be earmites or a yeast infection? I have never had a problem like this with any other dog. It does seem to bother her some.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

Dear Bluebelle,

It is not ear mites. That would be a dry crust and it would be in both of the ears. Not just one.

It sounds like a yeast infection but the only way to tell what is going on for sure is to have the vet take a sample out and look at it on the microscope. It could also be a bacterial infection and then the treatment would be antibiotics instead of antifungal/antiyeast treatment.

Hydrogen peroxide holds in moisture so it does not make a good ear cleaner. It is better to use an acidifying ear cleaner that has a drying agent in it. Yeast does not grow well in an acidic environment.

www.amazon.com/Malaseb-Flush-12oz/dp/B00061MOBG this is a good ear flush

To kill the yeast, or bacteria, it would be best to get a medication from your vet so you know if you are treating yeast or bacteria.

www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=632 more on ear infections

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there an over the counter or inexpensive treatment I can do to see if I can take care of it myself?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.
If it is yeast, you can try an athletes foot cream called "lotramin AF." The main ingredient is "clotrimazole." Apply it twice a day for 10 days.