Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My doxie puppy has small white bumps on her head and down her

My doxie puppy has small white bumps on her head and down her back. They are a little itchy. They were hardly noticeable when we picked her up at 6 weeks old. They were soooo small, but they seem to have grown with the dog. I switched her food from Purina Puppy Chow to Chicken Soup for puppies. She has since been taken to the Veterinarian twice. First, they tested her skin for parasites and it was negative. They gave her antibiotics in case it was bacterial. When I brought her back, two other vets looked at her bumps and told me to add fish oil to her food. The bumps are smooth, not infected looking or flakey. That was about a month ago. Her bumps are still there. Today I called the woman who sold the puppy to me to see if any of the other puppies experienced this problem. She said "no". The puppy's coat is shiny and soft. She is healthy, happy and active. None of my other dogs have gotten these "bumps". When she is out in the sun they are really noticable. Please Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

The itching part of it is what is suspicious.

It almost sounds like a hypersensitivity reaction or allergy. So, I wouldn't be against you giving some antihistamine to see if helpful.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

I would continue the essential fatty acid supplement.

Lastly, scabies (the contagious type of mange) can be very difficult to get on skin scrapings. So, a skin scraping, absolutely, needs to be repeated.

You also might want to consider getting a dermatologist involved.

You could even refer yourself to one by using this link to find one near you. & then select "find dermatologist"

Good Luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr Andy,
hello again, I just spoke to my daughter, she has the pup now. They are not itchy. She said they look more like tiny bald spots. It is not scabies, I have seen that before. The vets did not think allergies.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.

Tiny bald spots.

!!!!Someone better repeat that skin scraping. Scabies may be a little less likely, but demodex is now much higher on the list.

You are at the mercy of the person doing the skin scraping doing it correctly!!!

Skin scraping:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would it be demodex if the skin is smooth without any redness, flakyness or irritation?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I will definetly get another skin scraping and let you know what they find.

If it is demodex, how would you treat it?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.

Probably oral ivermectin. Start on lower dose to ensure well tolerated and wean up to correct dose. Probably have to give for several weeks.

It's the most common treatment.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi...remember me....My daughter took our pup to another vet. She did another scraping and ruled out demodex. They are "growing" the sample to see if it is fungal. The pup is being bathed once a week in a medicated shampoo. Her coat is soft and smooth, but in the bright sun light you can definetely see the white "bald spots". If you have any more ideas, let me know. I think we will have to go to a dermatologist.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
They will likely repeat the skin scraping. A very good idea.

Good Luck