Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

What does it mean when a dog's ears are hot?

My dog has very hot ears. His nose is not hot. Should I be worried? He is a doberman/pit mix.

Is it hot or humid where your pooch is right now?

Has he been exercising at all?

Has he been shaking his head or scratching at his ears at all?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is mostly in an air condition house, expect when he needs to go.
He does not get the exercise he should. No, he is not shaking his head or scratching at his ears.

Thank you for the information. If he is otherwise acting normally then just hot ears and a nose are not that significant. If you want to know about a fever for sure then take a thermometer and place it gently in your dog's rear end. If it is less than 102.5 then your pooch is just fine, if it is higher then your pooch has a fever. Even if your pooch has a fever it is likely not an emergency. If the hot nose and ears continue into tomorrow you can certainly have it checked out, but if your pooch is otherwise normal then I doubt this is a big deal. A sure reason to see the vet tonight or tomorrow is the hot ears and nose with vomiting, severe bloody diarrhea, or unresponsive lethargy. Keep a close watch on the ear canals as sometimes warm ear flaps precede the beginning of an ear infection. Overall I suspect your pooch will be fine. I hope this helps, best wishes.