Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Can I flush out my dogs eye with human eye wash

Can I flush out my dogs eye with human eye wash?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your little one's discomfort. Is he holding the eye shut? How long has this been going on? What breed is he?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He squints. I noticed it yesterday. Has gotten worse. He's a Rottweiler
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
Ok. I'm going to first say that putting a human saline eye rinse into a dogs eye would be ok to rinse out any potential irritant. Say your dog gets something splashed into his eye, you can rinse it out immediately with the rinse. We actually use a human saline eye rinse all the time on our dogs during our ophthalmic eye exams to rinse a dye stain out of the eye. In saying that, I would be more worried though that your little one has something that is more serious than just rinsing the eye will fix. The fact that he's squinting the eye tells me it is painful. The most common cause of a painful eye is a corneal ulcer. This is something that needs topical antibiotics and pain meds to be treated properly. I would get him into your vet here now to have them stain the eye to look for an ulcer. They then can evaluate for any other issues - such as a bacterial infection on the eye that too needs antibiotics. I wouldn't wait on this, I've seen over the years eyes that owners have waited to have examined and they got much, much worse. The sooner this is seen the better.