Dr. Sandy
Dr. Sandy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Canine practitioner for over 16 years, Served on board of directors to the AzVMA.

How can I tell if my Rottweiler is pregnant Her nipples are

Customer Question

How can I tell if my Rottweiler is pregnant? Her nipples are very large and a bit swollen.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Sandy replied 7 years ago.
The gestation period is 63 days. If she was in heat and bred, it is likely she is pregnant.
X-rays can tell 45 days after breeding, and there is a blood test for the hormone "Relaxin" that can be done around 35 days post breeding.

Bitches can have a false preganacy too. It can look just like a true pregnancy, but no pups.

If she begins to dring a lot of water, but not eat and seem lethargic or sick, get to a vet right away. A serious, life threatening condition called "pyometra" can develop if she is not pregnant and the only cure is an emergency hysterectomy.

Don't forget to hit "ACCEPT" once you get your answer.

Edited by Dr. Sandy on 9/25/2009 at 5:52 AM EST