Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

my cairn terrier had a seizure three days ago the vet has given

my cairn terrier had a seizure three days ago the vet has given him antiepilisy pills he is still pacing and unsteady on his feetis this the norm and how long could it continue he is 12 years old we would be grateful for any information thanks paul
Hi Paul, thanks for your question! I'm sorry to hear that your Cairn is having this issue. Did your vet run any blood tests?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes all were just about normal considering he had just had the seizure
OK, thanks for the reply. Anticonvulsant drugs such as phenobarbital (epiphen) act by slowing down the central nervous system (brain/spinal cord). As a result, the first few days to weeks on the medication may result in sluggishness, incoordination, and sleepiness. This usually passes, and the pet acclimates to the new medicine within a few weeks.

Of course, if there's an underlying problem such as meningitis, encephalitis, or a brain tumor, then there may be behavioral changes noted. SO if you're not seeing improvements within a few weeks, it may require further investigation.