Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years as a small animal veterinarian in a clinical practice and a skin and ear clinic

what should i do about my pugs toenail that grew under and

Customer Question

what should i do about my pugs toenail that grew under and into her foot pad? can i treat it myself, or should i go to a vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  replied 7 years ago.
You can cut it far enough away from the toe so it won't bleed but long enough to remove the curled piece from the foot. Sometimes a wire cutting pliers can be used for that. Then soak the foot in a saltwater solution if there is actually a puncture through into the foot pad.

Most veterinarians have a special surgical instrument used for cutting an ingrown toenail.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it seems as if the pad has started to heal around the nail...the skin of the pad may actually have bonded on the nail. is it advisable to try and remove the nail at this point?
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you can pull the nail out of the foot. It might bleed a little and there may be a hole in the footpad. That's why I suggest soaking the foot in a saltwater solution.