Dr. Lajos
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist

My dog ate a around a tablespoon of shaving cream gel. She

Customer Question

My dog ate a around a tablespoon of shaving cream gel. She is acting fine and actually she just finished eating but she seems to be salivating more than usual. Is there anything I should do or watch for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer

There is not much that will happen from eating some shaving foam gel. The most likely thing is that it may cause a bit of an upset stomach, possibly vomiting, and as you already noted some excess saliva or even some foaming at the mouth, Since she already ate and has held it down, it is likely that the stomach acids and food will neutralize any effects of the shaving gel. If she does develop an upset stomach or diarrhea you can give some active culture yogurt, 1-2 tablespoons/day, for a few days until things settle back down.

I hope this helps

Please let me know if you have any follow-on questions