Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

My dog ate some comet that was spilled on the floor before

My dog ate some comet that was spilled on the floor before I could get it cleaned up. What should I do?
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

How soon after eating the Comet did she vomit?

About how much did she eat (1 tsp? 1 tablespoon? 1 cup? other?)

Is she on any medications at all?

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She did not vomit immediately. Maybe a half hour or so?
Not sure how much she ate. Maybe a tablespoon maybe two. It was not anywhere near a cup though.
She does not take any medications
She weighed 32 lbs at her vet check up 4 months ago and she seems about the same.

Is she drooling at all?

How long ago did she eat it (in minutes/hours as we are in different time zones)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No drooling. She seems normal right now.
It has been about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Ok - right back with your answer!

Your girl unfortunately could develop a stomach ulcer from eating the Comet with Bleach Disinfectant Cleanser. It contains 1.2% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate and 98.8% "other" ingredients.

Right now I would like you to give your dog a mix of 50:50 water and milk - 1/2 cup NOW and then 2 tablespoons every 15 minutes.

The concern is that this product is irritating to the stomach and mucus membranes in the mouth and throat. It can cause ulcers in these tissues.

The pain, inflammation, redness and swelling may not be visible for 2-4 hours after the Comet was eaten. The full extent of the injury won't be known for 12 hours after exposure as the corrosive burns take that long to show up.

Treatment of burns in the mucosa should include antibiotics, pain medication as needed, gastrointestinal protectants (e.g. sucralfate), anti-inflammatories (corticosteroid use is controversial) and general supportive care.

In cases with severe oral burns or esophageal burns, your veterinarian may have to place a feeding tube into the dog's stomach so that food and water can be given to him through this tube while the mucosa heals. This can take weeks. There is a risk of a stricture or narrowing forming in the esophagus.

Treatment for a stomach ulcer or burns of the mucosa in the mouth and throat involves giving 3 drugs:

1. Sucralfate (Sulcrate, carafate) which acts as a bandaid to stick to the areas that are ulcerated. Thus, it is very important that this medication be given on an EMPTY stomach.

Here is more:

2. Antacids such as cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid) or ranitidine (Zantac).

Here is more about Tagamet:

More about Pepcid:

And more about Zantac:

3. Antibiotics to prevent bacteria entering the blood stream through the ulcer in the stomach.

I would strongly recommend seeing a vet!

If you absolutely cannot see a vet, then at home you could give her:

- a dose of Zantac (1/2 of a 75mg tablet every 12h) or Pepcid (1 tablet of 10mg every 12h)if you don't have Zantac and

- SMALL, frequent amounts of clear fluids.

So, water is fine, but also she can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1/4 cup every 15 minutes. Continue until she has drunk 2 cups.

After 12 hours if there is no more vomiting, you can start your dog back on a bland diet. For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal diet and food. So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve herself and back in

If she starts vomiting anything that is tinged with pink or looks like coffee grounds, that indicates that she is bleeding into his stomach, and then it is an emergency that she sees her vet.

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes, Fiona