Dr. Jamie
Dr. Jamie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 9 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
22263700

My dog just drank some water that I had bleach diluted in.

Customer Question

My dog just drank some water that I had bleach diluted in. I don't know how much she ingested, but it couldn't have been too much as I was out of the room for only about 45 seconds. I was able to make her drink alot of water from her dog bowl afterwards. What should I do? My vet just said call poision control. Poision control wants to charge me $60 to talk to me over the phone and I'm unemployed! If the dog needs to go to the vet (which I wish the vet would have just said so), then I need to spend the $60 on the vet bill instead of a phone call. Freaking out and don't know what to do!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
What dilution was it? How many parts bleach to how many parts water? What size is your dog?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Probably diluted 10 parts water to 1 part bleach. I didn't measure it when I made it. I am just guessing. Dog is approx 65-70 lbs. She drank tap water from her dog bowl for a good 45-60 seconds afterwards.....pretty good amount. I read on the bleach bottle if ingested to get the person to drink lots of water. Can't seem to get her to drink any more though.
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I couldn't see the other info you provided at first. The most common problem seen with bleach ingestion is stomach ulcers. She should be given 20 mg of pepcid AC every 12 hours for about a week. A stomach protectant called Carafate (prescription only) would also be good to give her. Bleach ingestion can also cause vomiting. If that happens feed her a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and she may need anti-vomiting medications. Getting her to drink was the right thing to do, continue to encourage her to drink (you can flavor her water with chicken broth if needed).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I will give her the pepcid AC and that was a great suggestion of mixing the chicken broth with water to make her want to drink more. I'll go do that right now! I tell ya....always something and it always happens at the worst times.....this time while I'm without a job and have used all of my extra cash to meet everyday expenses. Thank you for your assistance. I've just been in tears. I love my dog.
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
Glad to be of help!
Please don't forget to press the "ACCEPT" button!
Dr. Jamie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 9 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Chicken broth is working great. She is drinking alot of the water.
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
Great!