Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My 11 year old Boxer has a pinched sciatic nerve and is loosing

My 11 year old Boxer has a pinched sciatic nerve and is loosing control of her back legs. She also had ACL repair surgery on her left knee in July. I'm pretty sure the knee is okay but am wondering if there is anything that can be done for her to regain control of her back legs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for allowing me to try to help!

If this is true that your gal has a "pinched sciatic nerve, the use of stronger antiinflammatory agents or steroids will help release this nerve to restore function. If this is due to a Degenerative Myelopathy or a demyelination of this nerve, there is no treatment. The best thing to do is find out exactly why your dog is having this problem. It could be a disc issue in her back or an injury to this part of her nerve. These would rspond to stronger meds.

Good Luck!!