Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years as a small animal veterinarian in a clinical practice and a skin and ear clinic

dog: has salmon poisoning, and my vet prescribed

my dog has salmon poisoning, and my vet prescribed antibiotics, but is it common that she is still losing so much hair????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 7 years ago.
Usually Salmon poisoning does not cause hair loss. That is probably caused by something else. Is she itchy? DOes she have fleas? Is her skin dry and flaky? Are there any pustules on her skin?

We normally treat Salmon Poisoning wiht Doxycycline, but also a treatment for the flukes is also done with a drug called praziquantel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

she doesn't seem to itch more than normal, but is losing clumps of hair, just as winter is setting in. Her skin looks good, and we have bathed her to get the dead salmon smell off of her. She definately doesn't have fleas, and whatever she has, the cat doesn't seem to have. The cat is an inside cat, but they share a water dish whether we like it or not. Would kidney damage cause the hair loss? I didn't know that salmon was poisonous to dogs, as we are just up here working for the summer and aren't exposed to this at home. I'm afraid she was sick for about a week.

If she is in a new environment, there could be any number of things there that she may be sensitive to. Even though you don't see her itching, she is probably puling the hair out when you aren't looking. Ask the vet if she can be dipped for inapparent insects, like mites, and if the dog can have a shot of a steroid to calm down the itching so the hair will regrow.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we have been up here since march and she is shedding the hair, not pulling it out. i have been brushing her to help keep it off the carpets, and the cat has lost no hair, and they live together. She looks like a dog does in the spring, with the clumps of loose hair. There are no vets here, but will take her in when we leave in 3 weeks. All i can do at this point.
Some dogs that loose hair are low in thyroid hormones. This is very common in Goldens. Your vet can run thyroid tests to see if tha tis the cause of hte hair loss. Cats do not get low thyroid hormones.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

will it last for 3 weeks till i can get off this damn island and get her in? she seems healthy again otherwise..... I just thought it was odd that this all has come about since she got into the salmon.....

Expert:  replied 7 years ago.
I am not aware of Salmon poisoning causing hair loss.