VetBeth, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, 6 yrs small animal experience

my dogs hair is falling out and he has sores where it falls

my dogs hair is falling out and he has sores where it falls out ...i think mange but,,,,he doesnt scratch at it
When did this start? How old is your pet? What areas started to lose hair first? Have you seen fleas on your dog?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no fleas whatsoever...beenn going on for a while...losing hair in back sides around tail is gettin worse...under arm pits
What you are describing could be mange. There are 2 different types of mange, sarcoptic and demodectic. Both are caused by mites that live in or on the skin. Sarcoptic mange is very itchy, and usually starts on the tips of the ears and the elbows, and is highly contagious. Sarcoptic mange is relatively easy to treat.

Demodectic mange is not itchy, and often starts on the face, around the eyes and over the body, and is not contagious. It is much more difficult to treat, usually requiring weeks or even months of medication or topical treatments. This type of mange usually signals that your pet has some type of underlying health problem, such as an immune system that does not function correctly. Pets with demodectic mange should not be bred, because the underlying health problem is genetic.

These conditions are diagnosed by a veterinarian by doing a skin scraping and examining the material under a microscope.

However, there are many other skin conditions that can appear the way you have described. I would recommend that you take your dog to a veterinarian to get the skin examined so you can get treatment started. I hope this information helps!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he has a thyroid problem that is pretty bad could it be from this
Yes, because your dog has a thyroid problem, that changes things. Pets with low thyroid often have significant hair loss in areas of wear, such as the armpits and belly. Often they have a lot of hair loss over the tail base and back as well. The low thyroid hormone changes the hair cycle, and it stays in the "telogen" phase, or the resting phase. So when the hair falls out, it tends to not grow back. If your pet takes a thyroid supplement, the hair may grow back in time, but it will probably never be as thick as it used to be. Pets wtih low thyroid may also have a skin infection that is contributing to the problem and may require antibiotics or medicated shampoos to treat. I would still recommend taking your pet to be examined to make sure there is not a skin infection.