Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian and practice owner with 12+ years experience.

can distemper affect humans

can distemper affect humans?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 7 years ago.
Humans can be infected by canine distemper virus, however, these infected do not show a clinical problem. The human measles vaccine also aids our immune system in protecting form canine distemper. The main concern I would have would be if there is a distemper infection and this weakens the immune system allowing some other infectious agent to invade. However, I would not expect a problem in people with a normal functioning immune system.
I hope this helps and gives you direction
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

In a dog I observed vomiting and seizures. The seizure was then accompanied by the dog screeching and uncontrolled defecation with a good amount of salivation. These seem to be similiar to some things I've read about distemper. Would this seem right?

The signs associated with canine distemper virus affect many different organ systems. Frankly, I do not see many cases of this disease due to the high number of vaccinated dogs. The seizure your dog experienced is more likely due to epilepsy, brain tumor (if older), and other neuro issues. I would chart the time and duration of all seizure episodes and report these to your vet. Your vet may run bloodwork to rule out metabolic disease.
Dr. JEff