Kirsten, Veterinarian
Experience:  Rotating surgery/medicine small animal internship completed

My beagle has had digestive problems. She is not eating for

Customer Question

My beagle has had digestive problems. She is not eating for the past 24hours. It started yesterday around this time when she went out and she had the runs so to say. It continued into the morning and she has been laying around all day. She did eat some grass which she has done before to try to feel better but she is just not normal as usual. She is 3 years old. Any suggestions so I can help her feel any better or is this a wait and see thing?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kirsten replied 7 years ago.
Have you taken her to a vet for this problem? tried any medication? is she vaccinated and dewormed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No have not yet taken her to the vet. No medication. She is up to date with all shots and gets heartguard every month. Usually if she feels bad she might vomit or have the runs and then 24hours later she is good as new, eating and everything. This time she has been out and just laying around and will not eat food or treats right now.
Expert:  Kirsten replied 7 years ago.

Any vomiting or retching? Has she gotten into anything that you know of?

If it is just diarrhea, you can try a bland diet (boiled boneless chicken breast with boiled white rice). But if she is not eating or drinking and it has been 24 hours, she should be examined by a vet. You don't want to wait too long on anything more serious or have her get dehydrated with all of that fluid loss.

Also to rule-out causes for diarrhea other than just 'gastroenteritits' or upset stomach, you may want to submit a fecal sample to your vet to look for parasites. There are some over the counter human medications you can give for upset stomach, but I am not comfortable giving doses over the internet. Your veterinarian may be able to recommend some if you give him/her a call.