Dr. Keri
Dr. Keri, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years of experience as a companion animal veterinarian with emphasis on nutrition and senior care.

my dogs stool has white things thqt look like watermelon seeds

my dogs stool has white things thqt look like watermelon seeds and stick out of it...what is it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Keri replied 7 years ago.

These are tapeworm segments that you are seeing (I presume). Dogs can get tapeworms from ingesting fleas or rodents. I will tell you what you can get to treat the tapeworms, but don't forget good flea control, or you will be seeing these again very soon! Yell

It hasn't been very long that you could get the necessary medication over the counter. The active ingredient is called praziquantel. If you get a medication that combines this with either pyrantel or fenbendazole then you will also take care of other parasites that might be present. Here is a link to such a product.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions regarding this.