Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog keeps scratching and biting his paws is they anything

My dog keeps scratching and biting his paws is they anything we can give to stop him doing this as he is making his paws very saw
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for allowing me to try to help!

From what you have told me, it appears that your dog is suffering from some type of allergic reaction. This could be due to anything such as dust, pollen, fleas. The constant scratching and biting can cause a secondary pyoderma or skin infection. The first thing to do is to give your dog Benadryl that can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy. Give your dog Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of weight given twice a day for 1 week. If there is a secondary pyoderma, apply Betadine to these areas after clipping away the hair. This can also be purchased at any pharmacy. If there is no response in a week’s time, you will have to have your vet examine your dog to see if we have missed something such as parasites or other infections.

Good Luck!!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he was on roayal canin bisicuts and he satrted scratching and biting when he was on these biscuits and pulling fur out so some one told us to try him on james wellbeloved which is helping him a bit could he be allergic to things with additives in them

Yes, he could be allergic to additives. The problem is even if you find this as an allergen, they often have 100 other allergens they are sensitive to that you cannot totally avoid.