Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

Hi, My nearly 3 year old weimaraner was castrated at the beginning

Hi, My nearly 3 year old weimaraner was castrated at the beginning of August, at the time he is on desensitising injections for dust and storage mites, he was also on 6 piriton a day to help combat his symptoms such as red rash and itching. Since he was castrated he is no longer on any piriton and still isn't reacting, he had another injection yesterday and still seems fine. My question is: Is it possible that his non reaction to his allergy is linked to him being castrated? Also on his york lab test he registered a 5 for dust and storage mites, is this an actual allergy he has or is it an intolerance ?

Thank you
Emma
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 5 years ago.
It is possible that the non reaction is conected to his castration. Many strange things can happen when you start dealing with hormones, and when we castrate, we are altering the animals entire hormone profile. Another possibility though, is that the desensitizing injections are working and what you are seeing is simply the result of a decreased response to the antigens that had been causing him problems.

This is an actual allergy, just as we can be allergic to dust mites so can our dogs. They suffer from all the same inhaled allergies that we can. If there has been a change in the environment; new air conditioner filter, duct cleaning, etc., this could also explain some of his lack of reaction. Less allergen means less reaction.

Hope this has answered your questions.
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.