petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My 20 month old golden retriever has been having problems urinating.

My 20 month old golden retriever has been having problems urinating. This started last night when she woke me three times to go out (she can normally last the entire night no problem). Throughout the course of this morning she continuosly tries to urinate and nothing seems to come out. She threw up this morning also, which Im not sure if this is unrelated or has something to do with her current trouble with urination. She does not seem to show tenderness in her lower abdomen...could this be a urinary tract infection?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 years ago.

The signs you describe most certainly go along with those we see caused by a urinary tract infection. The straining without passing any urine is usually because there is a sense of urgency to pass even any small drops of urine that are in the inflammed bladder, so they never really build up a large amount. That also explains the increased frequency. These signs however could also occur if there were stones that were trying to pass and obstructing her urethra. Fortunately, female dogs are less likely to obstruct due to their anatomy. The vomiting is likely due to the abdominal discomfort and straining.

I would definitely get her in today for an exam and treatment. Your vet will determine after examining her and running a urinalysis, if there is anything else that could be occurring or if any other testing should be done. They will be able to prescribe an appropriate antibiotic and maybe even a change in diet. Once treatment is begun, she should feel much better quickly.

Good luck with her and please let me know if you have any further questions.