Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduated vet school with honors; Own 6 dogs, big and small.
8954214

my dog has a deep cut on her leg and is healing. how do i treat

Customer Question

my dog has a deep cut on her leg and is healing. how do i treat it so it heals properly and does not get infected?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi there- The best idea to have her examined by your vet and get some oral antibiotics to help it heal. In the meantime, clean it twice a day with peroxide and keep it dry, clean and covered. You can use an antibiotic ointment on the wound daily to try to prevent infection. If you notice that the wound is swollen, very red, or oozing, you should definitely take her to the vet.
If you can post a picture, I will be happy to look at it. Use the tree icon on the tool bar.
Dr Karen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the cut is deep to the point that her muscles can be seen. is it still safe or should we seek vetanary help?
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi again- If you can see muscle, please consider taking her to the vet. With a cut that deep, if it gets infected it could get into the blood stream and become a disaster! She may even need stitches.
Dr Karen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your time Dr. Karen.
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
My pleasure, best of luck!