Dr. Rick DVM
Dr. Rick DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Chief of Medicine, 10+ Years experience in Small Animal Veterinary Field

My Boston Terrier is sneezing and sounds a tad congested. Sh

My Boston Terrier is sneezing and sounds a tad congested. She is still eating normally and is active as usual. It seems like it may be a cold. Is there anything that I can do for her to help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Rick DVM replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX and hopefully I can be of some assistance.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well, but hopefully she'll be feeling better soon.

Sneezing in dogs can be due to multiple underlying causes. Usually they are related to an underlying viral/bacterial infection or allergies, however there are many other causes as well. If there is a viral or allergic component to the sneezing, it will probably start to improve within a few days. If there is a bacterial cause, or you notice a mucoid nasal discharge, there may be an underlying bacterial cause, or a bacterial infection secondary to the initial infection. If you do notice a mucoid or purulent (yellow) nasal discharge then I would recommend having her seen by a vet so that appropriate medications can be prescribed.

In the meantime, you can create your own nebulizer treatment by putting her in the bathroom with you and closing the down while you take a hot shower. Breathing the steam from the bathroom will help to hydrate and soothe the tissues of the nasal passage. Otherwise, it will be up to her body to heal.

I hope this question was helpful, and I wish you both the best and her a speedy recovery.

Positive feedback is much appreciated.